Behind the Scenes: The Making of “He’s Barack Obama”

Welcome to the ‘behind the scenes’ section of the JibJab blog where we give you all the secrets on how we made ‘He’s Barack Obama’!  In fact, if you read every single entry in this series, you will have everything you need to know in order to make your own Interweb hit.  You’re welcome!

1. Greg Bennett
    Posted June 20, 2009 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Gentlemen,

I knew your video “gems” took more work to produce than most people think, but I was truly surprised after viewing the “behind the scenes” section.

It appears you have a great group of people who really enjoy doing their work. Most of all, they’re having FUN!

Be sure to thank them for their efforts and keep up the good work!

• eric
      Posted June 23, 2010 at 9:45 am | Permalink

i watch this video every day

2. nancy reichard
    Posted June 20, 2009 at 6:31 am | Permalink

how do I get one of those t-shirts?

Posted June 20, 2009 at 7:45 am | Permalink

We’ve got a whole store with tons of good stuff, including t-shirts, here: http://www.zazzle.com/jibjab*

• nancy reichard
        Posted June 20, 2009 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Thanks guys – just ordered the shirt. You guys are the best!

• Posted November 8, 2010 at 8:15 am | Permalink

hola me llamo luis pero nose como aser esto

3. James B
    Posted June 20, 2009 at 9:16 am | Permalink

How’d y’all get the President to say “Pirates”?!

4. Patrick
    Posted June 20, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Yes thats what I am keen to know as well – I see from your story boards that he actually did say it.
    Did ya’all have a meeting to get him to say it especially?

5. Posted June 21, 2009 at 6:13 am | Permalink

wow nice…..

visit my blog too,

doomsdayarriving.wordpress.com

6. Posted June 21, 2009 at 6:13 am | Permalink

I am going behind the scenes immediately – we may have a gig for JibJab and I want to validate the process. Here’s a post from my blog on the JibJab Obama cartoon.
    Thoughts Illustrated: “He’s Barack Obama” –a cool “sendable”from JibJab

7. Posted June 21, 2009 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Wow! Thanks for showing us what goes into these animations; makes me appreciate it that much more.

8. Greg
    Posted June 21, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful guys!! Love your work. I was so happy to see the behind the scenes blog as well. great to find out how the magic gets done. Thanks!

9. Ms. Cox
    Posted June 22, 2009 at 8:12 am | Permalink

This is just the type of instructional information an art teacher like me dreams of locating for students to understand the steps.

10. Nora Taylor
    Posted June 22, 2009 at 10:08 am | Permalink

“Save a kitten from a tree.” I’m in stitches. Very cute. Good job JibJab!

11. Mau
    Posted June 23, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

The pirate scene…
    Confess…You got him to say that.
    Actually, I really hope he did. He would be the coolest
    President ever if he did.

12. Julie Kersey
    Posted June 23, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I love that you have captured our culture and crazy optimism in this snippet of art. WOW! I love it.

13. Posted June 24, 2009 at 8:35 am | Permalink

WHOOOOAAA!!!
    “He’s Come To Save The Day!” is, like, the best *#&$#$ thing you guys have done yet!!! Excellent take on “where do we go with this?” I think you should get #$*#$loads of O-fans (myself included) aboard, but it’s more than sarcastic enough to give the ‘other side’ some wiggle room.
    IIH$$$$, I’d get the “Obama Signal” TShirt, like, lightspeed.

What I can’t believe is how you really upped the video quality in this cartoon! Puhleeze don’t go into movies, no matter how much the Hollywood morons offer to throw at you!

BTW, if you DIDN’T actually get the real O-man to stand for a camera and say “Pirates” ((then pull his shirt open??)), that’s the best job you’ve done yet at realism. Cool!!

About HUMOR…….
    Comedians are not right wing, nor left. They are for humor. If only half the audience laughs, it isn’t universally funny. If nearly everyone laughs,it isn’t just funny, it’s the real truth.
    This cartoon is L*O*L funny!!
    You said it in your blog, I agree:
    NO ONE should have to live with these expecations!!
    What is he…… Spiderman???

About the only thing I think might’ve gotten added was the White House Gang — Joe Biden, Hillary, Rahm, Geithner — as Barack’s Loyal Sidekicks (esp. Joe, the comic relief of this Admin.)
    Maybe next time, a year or so from now, when they’re all desperately trying to keep things rolling??

GREAT WORK!!! GREAT GREEEEEEAAAATTTT!!!
    Rich, Henniker NH

PS idea two:
    “Who shall it Be?” The Republicans desperately search for a new leader. Starrring Sarah, Newt, and Mitt.

14. Posted June 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Awesome, awesome, awesome.
    Again… fantastic job fells!!!

15. Posted June 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

hi guys,

I’m working on a book about the creative process. The idea is to describe a few practical creativity tools, that are used by accomplished artists in all art forms.

I’ve been very impressed with both the result and the process of the Obama piece. It really sits well with my ideas. I would like to use it as one of the main samples in the book.

If this sounds interesting to you, please contact me at my Email or through my blog (www.animgug.blogspot.com) or website (www.doronmeir.com).

Thanks, and congratulations on a job well done!

16. Blaine A Knutson
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 8:18 am | Permalink

It said check out how we made it where is the video of how it was made?

17. Brad Anderson
    Posted June 27, 2009 at 4:14 am | Permalink

I really don’t give a crap about his imperial majesty Obama; I thought the point of the vid was to make FUN of him, not kiss his bitt. Hope you enjoyed your strip-searches while waiting to kiss the royal tush.

18. stan
    Posted June 30, 2009 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Very original – humor mixed with truth.

19. Sam
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

How did you make the scene where Obama says “pirates” and rips his shirt open!????!!!!!!